Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Meatless Monday

It's Tuesday,  yes, I realize that.  So, this post is a little late in coming, but meatless Tuesday just doesn't sound the same.

As part of our 21 day fix I have been trying to add variety to our meals, so why not make Chana Masala.  I mean, I looove Indian food, plus I could just add all the ingredients to my wondrous crockpot! Best device ever, although I am saving up for a 7-1 Pressure Cooker, which does that, plus rice cooking and sautéing as part of the deal! WIN!

To make it healthier, I made brown jasmine rice (in our rice cooker) and we bought some whole wheat naan from Trader Joes. I've actually made whole wheat naan before, I just didn't have the time this time.  I got the recipe for my Chana Masala from here.

Ingredients:
  • 4 C. water ( I changed it to 3, based on comments, I still thought it seemed a little watery so I thickened it up*) 
  • 1 large onion, diced (I also sautéed this up first to break it down and then added it to the pot- actually about half way through)
  • 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes
  • 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
  • ⅓ C. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
  • 2 tsp. garam masala
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (more if you like more of a kick)
  • 1 tsp. ground coriander (I omitted because we didn't have it, but the garam masala had some in it already)
  • 1 tsp. turmeric
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 cans chickpeas (I added three because we love chickpeas and I just felt two didn't seem like enough, plus we wanted to have left overs.  
  • Serve over Basmati Rice, or brown jasmine rice in our case
  • Cook from 6-8 hours ( I did 8, because I wanted to let it really soak up all the flavors)
*to thicken it I mixed 2 tbsp. corn starch with 2 tbsp. water



No comments:

Post a Comment