Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Snowed in means.....Homemade Pretzels




So, last winter I planned on making pretzels each snow day, but then we didn't get very many and I also had a 4 month old, so it wasn't exactly practical.  I decided this year we would try again, of course we've already had about 4 snow days, but better late than never.  I am a big fan of traditions, so when PC is a little older hopefully she will enjoy this....and hopefully I will also be able to perfect them.  I mean, who doesn't want to eat a fresh warm pretzel as they watch the snow come down? I mean other than gluten free people.....and since we aren't, bring on the white flour! LOL, actually the last time I made them I only had whole wheat flour and while they were good, I bet these will taste even more glutinous! I also didn't boil mine last time, you know like they do with bagels?
Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups warm (110 to 115 degrees F) water
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 package active dry yeast
  • 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, approximately
  • 2 ounces unsalted butter, melted
  • Vegetable oil, for pan
  • 10 cups water
  • 2/3 cup baking soda
  • 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water
  • Pretzel salt
I got the directions from here, but you can also find the recipe from Alton Brown from here

I have to say that my dough just never seems to double in size, maybe that's why my pretzels always seem so dense and not light and airy.  I still have to perfect this. If anyone has any suggestions.  They say to put the dough in a warm place to rise, so I placed it on the stove. Maybe too warm?

I will say, I enlisted my hubby to help with rolling out the dough- also they suggested breaking into 8 sections. I might do more so that the pretzels are not soo thick.  Anyway, he ended up doing a fantastic job.  The job is now his, until PC wants to help:-)



 Boil in the baking soda/water mixture for 30 seconds- we were literally timing it.
 Brush after boiling with one egg yolk mixed with 1 tbsp water.

 Salt with pretzel salt- which we didn't have, so kosher salt it is
 Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown
 We also decided that, being a snow day, why not also make a dipping sauce. We are not mustard people.  So, the hubs whipped up a batch of beer cheese dip.  If there are two things that we ALWAYS have it is beer and cheese.  Although- I might add less beer, a little too boozy for me...haha- we also added a little hot sauce for some heat and some paprika to make it pretty. Hubby got the recipe here- it was real easy and he whipped it up super quick!

No comments:

Post a Comment