Pages

Monday, May 5, 2014

Race for Hope 5K

This past weekend, Sunday to be exact, I ran a 5K. This "Race" is one that is especially close to my heart. It was The Race for Hope, proceeds going towards The National Brain Tumor Society and to Accelerate Brain Cancer Cure.

In October of 1997, my father, my daddy, passed away from a brain tumor.  He had been diagnosed a year before, but it was inoperable and treatments at that time did not work.  He was strong until the end!

I run in memory of him, in honor of the man that he was! PC will never know him and neither will my husband, but I hope that parts of him(the best parts), will shine out in me so that they can know a little bit of him!

One of my best friends came into town for the race. We've run it together for the past three years and I love traditions and hope that we will continue to carry it on, as long as we can! <3 I was so proud of her! She didn't run prior to and yet she ran the whole thing with us! I mean there were times I thought she was gonna pass me and keep going(we did run together).  We even stayed with the hubs for most of the beginning, as there were SO many walkers we had to dodge and dive(not really). What made it even more fun is that PC was on her first run in her fabulous BOB stroller.  Love how that thing maneuvers and how smoothly it goes up and down the curbs.

We couldn't have asked for more perfect weather!

Before the Start
I mean, you of course have to stop in front of the Capitol for a photo op.  It wasn't like we were gonna win the race. My hubs doesn't like to call it a race, at least not for us, more like a jog. LOL!
Loved all the dogs running! Maybe we'll bring Pepe next time, although I should probably train him before hand! Go, Dog, Go!

It's always a little emotional to see the survivors run/walk, especially the children. They wear the yellow race bibs and carry the yellow balloons.  It's also WONDERFUL to see those yellow balloons and race bibs! I pray that someday we will be able to find a cure for Brain Cancer, as well as the other numerous cancers! 

PC and Daddy- so many walkers!
 Action shot of bestie, hubs and PC.  I had to "sprint" ahead to take the pics- whew!

 After the race we enjoyed the freebies, water, bagels, bananas, popsicles, pita chips...gotta love the freebies!
 Since it was such a beautiful day(and also because we were a block away)we also decided to visit the said known house in the background.  You may have seen it in movie before! ;-)  As you can tell, PC is less than impressed. Paper is more exciting to her!
I LOVE and MISS you!!


No comments:

Post a Comment