Pages

Monday, June 9, 2014

Tis the season for baking(no, it's not Christmas)

So....I baked about 5 dozen cupcakes the other night. Two types, red velvet with a cream cheese frosting and snickerdoodle with a fluffy vanilla frosting.

I did NOT use a box(not that there is anything wrong with that).  Boxed cakes are great too, really easy to make, less time consuming and usually very moist.  That's the kicker.  I'm not a fan of dry cake!

I also made the icing from scratch- usually if I do end up using a box then I will make the icing from scratch. But....being the overachiever on Monday, I did it all up! Gotta celebrate special co-workers :-)

My Martha Stewart Cupcake Cookbook and I are besties!
Snickerdoodle:

 I've learned that cracking the eggs into a bowl and then adding them one at a time(as directed) is easier than cracking them on the side(makes more dishes, but prevents any eggshells from getting in the mix).
 The Snickerdoodle mixture
Finished product! 

Red Velvet with a cream cheese frosting:  You can't have red velvet cupcakes without the cream cheese frosting. Mmm....


Cream Cheese frosting Recipe:
2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
12 ounces cream cheese at room temp.
4 cups confectioners sugar sifted
3/4 tsp of vanilla extract
1) Beat Butter and cream cheese together until smooth
2) Add 1/2 cup of sifted confectioners

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe:
3 sticks of unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 lb (4 cups) of confectioners sugar sifted
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1) Using an electric mixture beat the butter until creamy and pale
2) Add confectioners sugar about 1/2 cup at a time
3) Add vanilla- beat until smooth and fluffy

No comments:

Post a Comment