Pages

Monday, February 10, 2014

It's a soup kind of day

Thanks to Punxsutawney Phil we will have 6 more weeks of winter.  Although, when you think of it, Spring doesn't come for awhile anyway.....but....it's ok because I am a big fan of winter, well more like snow. The cold weather without the snow isn't quite as epic.

Today is one of those days where I don't really want to get out of my pjs. I just want to sit curled up on the couch with a good book and blanket. However, today I am curled up while PC naps, watching the Olympics. We didn't want to venture out, but alas we needed food for the week. So we bundled up and trudged out.  I decided that I wanted to make Zuppa Toscana.  If you have ever been to Olive Garden, then you know what I'm talking about. I mean who doesn't love unlimited soup, salad and breadsticks?!

So we bought, spicy sausage, potatoes, kale, chicken broth, heavy cream and of course bread.





Thank goodness for the crockpot.  I cooked up the sausage, added 2 diced garlic cloves and half a chopped onion. Added those to the crock pot with 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of water. I sliced the potatoes thinly and also added them to the pot. Then I set it to cook for 4 hours.  After 4 hours I added 1 cup of heavy cream, 3-4 cups chopped kale and salt and pepper to taste.  Then I let the soup cook an additional 1-2 hours.

I  had a lot of kale left over and it isn't a typical vegetable that Gary and I eat so....I made kale chips. I chopped off the leaves and then tore them smaller. I washed the kale and then I added a tablespoon of EVOO some kosher salt and then garlic powder. I made two batches, the other batch also had chipotle chili powder. I spread the kale onto a cookie sheet and baked for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. I rotated the sheet 180 degrees at the 5 minute mark.
Garlic and Salt

Garlic, Salt and Chipotle Chili Powder- may have added too much, kinda spicy

What's your favorite crock pot soup to make? I'd love to hear some recipes! 



No comments:

Post a Comment