Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

Spring means flowers!

Spring is definitely in full bloom here in DC.  

We spent the day cleaning out our garden of dead plants and weeds.  We had a couple of plants that just couldn't handle the polar vortex this winter so those bad boys had to come out. It's ok, I didn't really like any of them anyway, but felt bad getting rid of perfectly healthy plants.  It's like the winter knew!

We walked over to the outdoor market that's a block away in the parking lot of RFK.  We bought a bunch of plants there last year and they did pretty well.  We decided that vine dwelling veggies were not such a great idea so we purchased, tomatoes, red peppers and banana peppers.  We also purchased some herbs, basil, peppermint, rosemary and cilantro. I never really used to be a huge fan of cilantro, but I think that it's grown on me, much like asparagus and brussel sprouts.

Flower wise for the front garden we bought gerbera daisies, zinnias, salvia portulaca and a knockout rosebush.  The knockouts are apparently very hardy and disease resistant.  The front garden gets a lot of sun and so we needed plants that didn't mind heat or lack of water. I decided the the front garden this year would be mainly yellows and reds/oranges.


I also bought marigolds for the front porch, as well as the herbs. I am also hoping to buy a citronella plant and catnip.  I hear that all three of those plants are natural mosquito deterrents. Mosquitos tend to be awful here, but there are also just "pocket" areas. I'm really hoping because of our crazy winter that there are sooo many less. We love being outback or on our porch, but not with the skeets!

For the back garden we purchased more marigolds and erysimum(those are the tall yellow plants) . If marigolds work my gardens will be full of them. Even though they aren't my favorite I dislike mosquitos even more! The back gardens already have some flowering bushes, knockout roses, the daisies are growing back, as is the hydrangea I like perennials.


We also got another stepping stone.  I know, one! But last year we purchased 4 and I thought we needed one more so that I didn't have to "leap" from one to the next (call me crazy).  I mean they aren't that close together....5 is perf!

We also bought some extensions for our drain so it didn't wash out and flood the one garden and we bought some garden edger.  The mulch will wait until the next trip! Our goal was to spend no more than 100 and we came in at $99.45! Pretty proud of us! Can't wait to drink some mojitos and moscato on the front porch! 

PC didn't help much, just sat on the front porch and looked cute while I blogged, she mostly napped during our working outside times.

No comments:

Post a Comment