Pages

Monday, April 7, 2014

Things that I never experienced before I became a teacher...

Usually I post about PC, or about running(sort of), mainly PC.

But, did you know?! I am a teacher! It's true. I'm in my 9th year and have mainly taught first grade.  When I was little, I never thought I would be a teacher. Both of my parents were teachers and I swore I would not do the same. HA! Apples don't fall too far from the trees.  My dad was a high school physics teacher and my mother was an elementary art teacher turned college professor.  I can't say that it was in the genes since I was adopted, but I guess I saw the importance of education? 

I teach outside DC in a low-income, high need elementary school.  That being said, I grew up in a completely different situation, both living and schooling.  The school where I teach is quite diverse, where I was 1 of the few minorities in my school growing up.  

So a few "firsts" that I have experienced since teaching here:
1) My first cockroach- crazily enough all my students know what they are and often I can yell out "Who wants to kill it?!" and many a student responds!
  • The song, La Cucaracha- why would you write a song about them? They are NOT cute!!!!
2) My first experience with students with head lice (I remember being screened in elementary school, but never knew anyone with them)- let's just say that when a child gets them my head immediately starts itching and you better believe that my hair goes up in a ponytail!
3) First view of a bed bug- You know the saying, "Sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite." Supposed to be this cute little saying that I remember hearing when I was little.  I guess I didn't realize that bed bugs were real things. Not so cute anymore!
4) First Ringworm- I remember the wrestling guys in high school would get it, but I never saw it, not until the other day. The nurses response, "That's a big one!" Awesome! (Again I immediately started feeling itchy and washed my hands and arms and then Cloroxed everything!)

These are just a few of the fun things I've experienced as a teacher thus far. I suppose almost everything is a "first."  These were just some of my "fun" ones!

I thought about posting pictures, but they would be kind of disgusting(my opinion), so if you are interested in what they look like(in case you haven't actually seen them, feel free to google them :-) )
Have you had any firsts in your work environment?


No comments:

Post a Comment