Pages

Sunday, March 16, 2014

No Excuses!

The finish line, where Marathoners, Halfers and 5Kers finished
So I ran my second 5K since PC was born, Saturday.  Yay! Here's the kicker, I only logged 5 running miles total since I signed up, due to weather, sickness and time. But.....I didn't say, "I'm not gonna do it." I knew that there was an hour time limit, but I also knew that come race day, I would be motivated to go "faster," to keep up with other runners.  Call it my competitiveness.  I also knew that it was only 3.1 miles. I say "only" because I've done a half before, so 3.1 miles is just that.  If you've never run before though, those 3.1 miles can be daunting, but chances are the majority of you have walked farther than that.

A very unflattering double chinned selfy
So, even though I wasn't as prepared as I would like to be, I knew I had made the commitment, at least monetarily....haha. The night before I felt awful, sore throat, headache, chills, achey....but I wanted to do it and just hoped and prayed that I would wake up feeling a little better.  All I had to do was commit to maximum an hour of exercise.  Thankfully, I woke up feeling better. Too bad waking PC up earlier than normal, kinda screwed up her schedule yesterday. But....she did get to come and cheer on her mama, even if she had absolutely know idea what was going on! Also, thanks to the hubs for giving up weekend sleep to come and support me! Although we all know that PC wouldn't have been able to cheer her mama on without the hubby!

Runners come in ALL shapes, sizes and ages! There were children running, there were elderly running/walking, there were disabled people participating. So, really, NO EXCUSES! Don't let someone tell you that you CAN'T do it.  If you can walk/run you can participate. It's all about the attitude you have.

 I am healthy(so-to-speak), I can run, I can breath, I AM FORTUNATE and THANKFUL! So, even though I didn't feel the best or overly prepared, I didn't want to give up.  I loved seeing the little kiddos running with their parents(hopefully PC will do that with me someday, chances are she'll be faster than I). I loved seeing the determined woman walking with her cane. I'm pretty sure if it were me, I still would have been asleep in my bed. zzzZZZZ..... I loved seeing supportive teams the 314 teams and people running for a friend.

I couldn't take pictures of everything that I saw, mostly because it's hard to take pics while running and two, I've pretty much maxed out my picture limit on my phone(thanks to PC).  Here are some of the snapshots from yesterday- apologies for the blurriness, that's due to the fast pace that I was running;-)

I always love when people love costumes, the next time I run with friends, that will be happening, but alone, it's not quite as fun, but maybe that's just me.  I love the tutus and don't feel like it will impend on my running abilities too much.

I can't get the photos below in order, but the one on the right is the beginning of the race as the sun came up over the Anacostia River, this is us running over the bridge. Notice the person in the green shirt/skirt carrying the little girl?! That was the father. One I love that he's dressed up all fun for St. Patrick's Day and two I love that when his daughter got tired after the first .5 he picked her up and put her on his shoulders. I also want to add that he was in front of me, then I passed him and then he re-passed me heading back, still carrying his daughter! LOVE! 
The picture on the left is after they passed me, he put her down he ran basically the whole race with her on his shoulders. Perfect image of a father, well maybe minus the skirt.  



Didn't have a friend to take the picture with me, so it's just me and the RNN background.  Nothing like meeting up with PC after the race. Can you tell that she loves the medal?! 
Proud of how I did and inspired by all those around me! Congrats runners/walkers! Well done!

Run any races this weekend?How did you do/feel?




No comments:

Post a Comment