Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Starting Solids

Big Girl Food!

Solids vs. Purees?

Eeek.....according to books, parents, doctors, it is time for PC to start solids.  The doctor gave her specifics about what PC should be eating at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Here's the thing, I always thought I would do pureed baby food, you know, maybe try and steam my own fruits/veggies and then feed them to PC.  Of course I have learned that something I may think I will do, may change. Gotta be flexible.  I tend to be very thorough with my research whether I am buying something for myself, or PC, or ever hubs. I like to read the reviews and watch videos to give me a better idea. Obviously there is nothing like experiencing it first hand because you never know how your little one will respond, or even how you will feel about it when you do it.  

A few weeks ago I got together with a bunch of mommy friends. Our kiddos are very close in age so it's fun to see how they've grown/developed.  It's also great to talk about what stresses we are having or challenges, as well as what we are doing that seems to work.  Someone mentioned Baby Led Weaning. That phrase was unfamiliar to me.  Actually it seems that a lot of friends, not in the group, also are unfamiliar with that phrase, our families aren't familiar either.  I don't think that it is all that new, but more people are starting to choose to do it.

With Purees babies learn to swallow first and then learn to chew, with baby led weaning babies learn to chew(gum) and then swallow.  PC has begun to show interest in what her dad and I eat, watching us and occasionally reaching out for what we are eating.  She has also become a little better about sitting up independently, although she sure isn't a pro. 

I think both purees and baby led weaning have a tendency to be messy. With purees babies are spitting food out a lot, unsure if they like what they are eating and with baby led weaning babies explore the food and may mush it and gnaw on it. Either way, the beginning stages of feeding are not the cleanest of events. 

I'm not against purees and baby cereal. I think that we will try both. Try the cereal and also try solids. They say to start with bananas and avocados and to leave a little of the peel on the banana so that baby has something to hold onto, as bananas can be slippery, so can avocados for that matter.

The problem that we found with the banana is that it is too thick for PC to hold on to with her tiny little panda paws. So the next time we tried I sliced the banana into longer slices, easier for her to grasp.

We also mashed up the banana a little and fed it to her- I know that this kind of defeats the whole baby led weaning thing. We are kind of forging our own way right now.  Oh, and yes, that is a spatula.  We do have baby spoons, but this worked. Improvising at the spur of a moment. haha

I also noticed, that with the softer foods, avocado, banana, pear, PC picks them up with now problem, but then she also squeezes them and smush, it breaks and then it's harder for her to grab. She also likes to rub her hair after smushing said items, much to my dismay! 

There's my little green monster....mmmmm....
With purees, you have to spend the time making them or buying the little jars. With baby led weaning, baby eats what you are eating, which does make it a little easier and cheaper. 

What worries me is the choking, but PC doesn't really have the teeth to bite off pieces and you aren't supposed to give the babies teeny tiny pieces, more like finger size pieces, easy to grab and easy to put in their mouths. Oddly enough baby gag reflex is much further up on their tongue than back in their throat. Who knew that the gag reflex changed over time? 

She enjoys the apple, I've also started putting it in her paci feeder.  That way she can kind of self feed, teeth, while getting yummy tastes. The feeders don't hold much, but I don't have a problem carrying around a little container and filling it up as she finishes.

I love all the many faces PC makes when she tastes something either for the first time, or just any time. Priceless! 
So, thanks to a great Public Library, I checked out this book to help me understand Baby-Led Weaning: 

At this point it is trial and error for us. We've given her some of the organic baby pouches, we've given her solid food that she feeds herself and we've also given her the feeder pacifier.  She isn't opposed to any of them at this point. Who doesn't like a well rounded child?  I definitely understand the whole pouch thing, especially once PC gets more independent. They would be great for car trips or quick snacks, easy to carry in the purse and with very little mess.

Do any of you do baby-led weaning?


Anyone make their own food pouches? If you buy, what brand do you buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment