Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Nutty Quinoa Salad

I made this the other night, as part of our, "Eat Healthier New Year."

Quinoa can be used in many different ways. Pinterest has tons of different recipes and I can't wait to try a bunch of them.

I used red quinoa, it doesn't really matter if you use white, red or black.

I cooked my quinoa in chicken broth to give it extra flavor.
It is recommended that you rinse the quinoa before adding it to the pot as it will remove the bitter coating on the seed.

The recipe calls for 2 cups chopped, or finely ripped spinach,  1/2 cup cranberries, 1/2 cup almonds and 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, I added more.  I may also toss in some feta cheese. Love feta and that extra saltiness is great. I toasted my almonds first too.



I actually ended up tossing in 1/2 the spinach to the warm quinoa and then will mix in the rest of the spinach after it has cooled in the fridge for about an hour.

There is also a dressing to add 4 tablespoons apple vinegar, 4 tablespoons EVOO and 1 tsp. honey. Add to the quinoa and let it cool and soak up.

Then mix in all the goodies.



I got the recipe from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment